Saturday, April 2, 2011

First Cold water



After a few months of monotonous swimming up and down lanes in a pool, and having to put up with an evil French witch trying to scupper the routine, i ventured down to Lake Passy nr Chamonix at the end of March for a tester... 11.5 degrees.

I dont think one person who saw me, didnt stop, point and basically think i was mad. I felt it. George and Bertie were there to help me if i froze although i am not sure who i would have had more faith in saving me in cold water! It hurt for about 1 minute then amazingly, like a beer coat late on a cold saturday night, it felt relatively ok, although i could feel the ice chill. Then my wrist joint froze, like arthritis i am guessing, and after only 12 minutes i had to stop as swimming with one hand is not the easiest in open cold water! Got out to rethink and face the music another day!

Went down again on 1st April. Water still only 12 degrees and managed to stay in for 28 minutes this time and swim c 1.5km. Could hear all the 'bravos' whilst i was in there and came out of the water to clapping! Again, i had the least qualified life saving team with me :) although the warm tea, cake and towel at the end were
invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment